Monday, August 17, 2009

Pages, Words and Connection

Sunday afternoon, I plunged into Cornelia Funke's Inkheart. Your first task after reading and reflecting on this post, is to read that book.
I am the fourth person in my household to read the book, my husband and two older children read the book early summer and my 9 year old daughter and I are reading it together. The characters in the book love books, Funke makes you want to curl up with her book and reminds you of every treasured moment ever spent with the written word. As she lured me into her book, I became more aware of the connection between the words, the pages and people.
I am reading a library copy, which means the pages I turned are not the ones turned by my family, yet we are all connected. The words which spark my brain and dance in my mouth are the same words that sparked and danced for my family. We are connected through the knowing and saying of the story. Story belongs to everyone.
As I caress these pages, I can not help but think of all the people who held the book, curled on their sofas, lying on their beds, or sitting up right at a table. All those people young and old who fell into this story. I wonder how they reacted to the story, did the words tickle their tongues? Did they realize their conntection?


No comments:

Post a Comment