Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Community Space

Refelecting on yesterday and the wonderful time I had with my family. I am pondering on the difference between community, public space and private space. After the Fair for Susatinable Communities hosted by the Communty Alliance for Global Justice, My family rode the bus to Bobby Morris playfield in Capital Hill. There were tons of people playing, resting, enjoying one another, eating, reading. All the things I do in my backyard behind my fences. I am a prety social person and others seem to know that, it is not unususal for people to come up to me and start talking. I ususually invite that. I did not have any people do that yesterday, but I became keenly aware of a different feeling in my body when resting and playing in the public space as opposed to resting in my yard. I felt connected, even though I did not join the boule game on the hill (honestly, I do not know if they would have allowed me to, I am just assuming I could have at least asked) I was still connected to their joy, and even though I did not sit an compassionatly listen to the man who apperaed to need a friend (he was in deep conversation with another man, which I interpreted as a need) I was connected to his life journey and search for wholeness, just becasue I was in the same space.


Now I am fortunate, my family rents and adorable house in old Bellevue, tiny and just right, with a HUGE back yard, hence the interest in sustanable home gardeneing. I have 5 children and I a committed to not driving our minivan. SO going to public space when I have a big back yard is sometimes a hassle, but as I write about how community is a necessity, I see the venturing to community space differenlty, it is not just something to shake up the home life, make it more fun. It is absolutly necessary to venture into, to maintain, to protect public space, God resides in the public arena, I invite every one to venture into the space of possibility, stretch your safe zone and come to know other. Erik Law would remind us this is the grace margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment