Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Community Discernment

How do we work together to discern what is best for our community? President Obama is trying to develop a culture of discernment and change does not happen over night. Those of us who want that change have the responsibility to learn eagerly and respond thoughtfully. I believe we also have a responsibility to teach others the art of discernment, especially our children. I would like to schools focus on teaching children to be citizens of earth, not concerned will funneling them into college and career.
As our country tries to address Health care, I am overwhelmed by the shouting (in written and spoken word) It saddens me to see my sisters and brothers not sitting still long enough to listen what others are saying. It makes me think of how I am not listening. I do need to stop the media input and reflect on what I am hearing and what thoughts/feelings/ action arise from information.
How are we doing this as a community? I do not believe big town halls with lots of media coverage is the way to go. I believe it is through the smaller connections in our neighborhoods, in our schools. I would would much rather see the PTSA sponsor a night of education and discussion about Health Care reform and stop organizing ridiculous magazine drives (Talk about media frenzy). Where are the safe places in our communities? Where can we go to safely engage with diverse backgrounds an opinions? I must admit I do not engage many people in this discussion because I do not want to sift through people's anger. However, it someone takes the time to discern and explain their understanding, if someone took the time to think through the issue and not just spout misinformed media, then I will listen, learn and discuss.
How do we make that happen? How do we prepare people for a lifetime of civic engagement with discernment and integrity? What is the role of our schools, churches, libraries, government to make community discernment a reality?


No comments:

Post a Comment