Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What is Church?

During dinner, my six year old daughter asks, “So Mommy, What is Church about?” I was so excited, my four years of seminary education and eight years of work as a Director of Religious Education, were rushing to my lips, when I was stopped. Every single person at my dinner table (my partner and my other four children) piped up with their answers. I thought they each deserved some reflection.
It is a beautiful place. My partner grew up Catholic and for him church is a place filled with beautiful artwork and music. A place that smells earthy yet has hints of divine presence. Much like the smell of a beeswax candle. I believe church is a beautiful place because we bring our highest aspirations. Our art and song are our best offering of gratitude to the spirit of life that moves through all.
It is a place to worship God. My middle daughter has a strong faith in God, she is a wonderful spiritual being. She loves to come to church because she feels closer to that spirit of life she has named God. It is a felt sense for her. The feeling of church is the feeling of God. I, too, have a strong God image that opens my heart to the ways the spirit moves among us. In worship I see us lifting that spirit up so that all may share.
It is a place to think about the Ultimate Being. My oldest teen son looks at church from an academic perspective. Church is a place to think about important questions of life. His response was also related to my daughters “God”. My son realizes that people have different images of the holy and Church is a safe place to reflect on those images and learn new ones.
It is a place to meet people and do Social Justice. My oldest daughter (11) is all about socializing and social justice. For her the two are linked, you need to be with other like-minded people striving for the same transformational love. Church has been a place for her to express her deepest desires for a peaceful world and a place where she is gaining the tools to create such a world.
It is a place to play and have pancakes. So my three year old has a different view of church. For him church is a place to have fun. He is right. There is so much love in the world the more we access that love through fun, the more we are able to spread that love.
So that was it, no pontificating for me, no sharing my wise response. However, in the end, my education and experience has given me the understanding that the spirit is always moving and my job is to provide the space for people to see it. This is what happens in our church. We provide the safe space for people of all ages to know the spirit in their own way, to share their joy, express their sorrow, and work to make a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment